The space theme is quite popular when it comes to online slot games. We just need to mention the world Starburst and we’ll immediately trigger memories of NetEnt’s extremely popular slot game of the same name. Well, Iron Dog Studio, a UK based developer, aims to replicate NetEnt’s success, by creating a similar-styled slot game in the form of Solar Nova.
Apart from using the space theme, this game has some additional tricks up its sleeve that merit us to write a review for it. So, if you want to learn more about what the Iron Dog Studio slot game has to offer, you can feel free to read our Solar Nova review below.
As mentioned in the previous section, the game centers on the theme of space. This is not to say that the theme has profound influence on how the game plays out. In fact, we would say that it plays second-fiddle to the mechanics of the game. We believe that Iron Dog Studio picked the space theme because it offers a convenient way to implement the gameplay mechanics they had in mind when developing Solar Nova.
There are, in total, 81 symbols on the game’s grid at all times. And they are all rubies of sorts, of all different kinds of colors, including green, orange, red, blue, etc. In terms of the thematic presentation, we wouldn’t go so far as to say that the developers at Iron Dog Studio have been lazy. But they definitely could have invested some more time and effort in developing the theme properly so that it will be more gripping and captivating.
So, how do you play Solar Nova? Well, it’s easy. The fact that there aren’t any paylines to bother with simplifies things, as all you’ll need to do is select the size of your bet and click the spin button. The symbols on the grid will rearrange and you will either get a winning combination or lose your wager for the round.
The interesting part about this slot game, one that makes it more unique, is the fact that after you get a win, the winning symbols vanish and they get replaced with new symbols. This mechanic was originally popularized in NetEnt’s Gonzo’s Quest slot game where it was named the avalanche reels feature. Regardless of the fact that it’s not ground-breaking or original, we still like how this feature plays out in Solar Nova.
And the way to get a win in Solar Nova is by getting 6 or more identical symbols stringed to one another on the grid. This is due to the cluster-pay feature that’s also popular in many other slot games.
|Name and developer
|Solar Nova by Iron Dog Studio
|Space-themed, cluster win slot
|Yes, with 6 free spins
Solar Nova Special Features
But the game’s special features is where Solar Nova gets to shine. There are quite a few of them, too, including:
- Tumbles feature. This means that if you get a cluster win, then the winning symbols get replaced with new symbols that take their place. And if the new combination of symbols is, once again, a winning one, it means that you will get the chance to once again repeat the process. There is no limit as to how far this process can go.
- Solar flare feature. The central symbol of the game is a pulsating solar wild symbol. What the solar flare feature can give you is a random win at the end of a losing round. It can transform symbols laying vertically or horizontally into identical forms and get you wins even when you had been expecting to lose.
- Rocket wilds feature. The rocket symbol doesn’t vanish if there is a win like the other symbols. Instead, it moves to an adjacent location. And if it gets involved in another win, then you will get a +1 multiplier bonus for every consecutive win that you’ll get with the symbol. The best part is that there’s no upper limit for the multiplier bonus. Also, the central rocket symbol can teleport to another place on the grid and grant you wins in this way, too.
- Free Spins. If you get three different rocket symbols, then you will trigger the free spins feature. You will get 6 free spins with the option to trigger additional features such as more rocket symbols, multiplier bonuses and bigger cluster wins.
- Buy bonus. You can also buy the bonus feature with three different sets of special bonuses as you play the game. Of course, this will cost you – be it 90x, 250x or 300x of your bet. But if you get lucky, then you can win big with this feature alone.
Solar Nova Cons
Truth be told, there aren’t too many cons to consider and write about in Solar Nova. If there’s one thing that we’d like to mention, is that we would prefer it if Iron Dog Studio invested more effort in the development of the game’s theme. The game does look bland, especially when you compare it to older classics in the space-themed slots genre – like Starburst.
But the gameplay mechanics more than make up for it, as you can trigger several special features at any given point in the game and get paid, big time.
Solar Nova is a fun slot game that has great potential to keep you entertained for hours on end. However, you do need to be mindful of the game’s high volatility rating, which means that there will be infrequent payouts for the majority of players that come and play this game.
We do like the special features and the main cluster-win gameplay, as well. There’s nothing better than the feeling you have when you manage to string together multiple cluster wins and as you see your bankroll growing while you lay back and relax. And it’s this exact feeling that Solar Nova by Iron Dog Studio can give you. We hope that you will enjoy it and that you will get lucky, winning big prizes in the process.